About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Monday, December 5, 2011

London Bridge is Falling Down

I was walking to a look restaurant for dinner. I passed by a local shop or something. I am not sure what they sell. They have a bunch of beds in the store. However standing out front was an older woman and four children. The children were playing in front of the store with what I assume was their mother watching them from behind. There were children holding hands together like in London bridge is falling down with the two smaller children running in circles through outstretched hands. I walked by when they were counting. The kids counted in Chinese then the bridge fell to catch one of the smaller kids. It seemed like London bridge is falling down and I really wished I could hear the rest of the song. I smiled that games like this are universal. Plus I loved seeing the children's delight when they caught one of the small kids. I smiled at the children and the mom after they caught one of the kids. Then I went on my way.

I had a similar experience when I went to Austria and Germany. Our choir sang with the Vienna boys choir. A few of us from my choir taught a few of the Austrian boys how to play this sort of game/song that starts like this down by the banks of the hanky panky. Once they saw how the game is played they taught us a similar game in german. I wish I could remember how the song goes. Even though I can't remember the words I still can vividly see this moment and remember the cultural exchange. We took turns playing the game in English and Austrian. It was a great exchange of culture. It yet again shows that each culture has things in common.

If we can focus on these things that we have in common then we can begin to work together. If we as a human race are going to survive or improve then we must work together. I think that our economy is suffering because the world has developed more and we must think globally about the economy. The economy in Europe affects ours and so there for we must work together. We must not only think about how are actions affect the local area, but the nation, and even the globe. This is something I have been thinking about a lot and wondering about recently. Because I see myself as a creating and teaching global citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment